The federal Government of Nigeria, through the Honorable Minister of Education, Prof Tahir Mamman has announce the Federal Government Scholarship Scheme for Undergraduates and Postgraduates. This scheme is known as the Bilateral Education Agreement between Nigeria and several other countries. This agreement will enable prospective students of different disciplines apply for scholarship opportunities in the said countries.
This scholarship is fully funded by the Federal Government of Nigeria and opened for all interested and qualified candidates who meet the scholarship criteria. This is in a bid to reiterate the federal Government’s commitment to the quality education of her citizens. As such the Government seeks to create exposure for her citizens in order to be trained in order countries, thereby getting insight on the education system of the partnering countries.
This scholarship will be for the 2024/2025 academic session. The undergraduate students who succeed will have the opportunity to study in Russia, Morocco, Hungary, Egypt and Algeria. While the successful postgraduate students will have the opportunity to study in Russia (for those who obtained their first degree in Russia), China, Hungary, Serbia and Romania
ABOUT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP – BILATERAL EDUCATION AGREEMENT (BEA)
The Bilateral Education Agreement is an ongoing education programme which has been in existence for over a decade and it is been carried out yearly. This scholarship scheme avails Nigerian students the opportunities to study in choice countries.
The countries which has the Bilateral Agreement with Nigeria include Russia, Morocco, China, Egypt, Romania, Serbia, Hungary and Algeria. This scholarship award is fully funded as no payment is expected to be made by the students.
This scholarship scheme is not opened to all course of study. The Government sees the need of the country and then invest in the relevant fields where they think could help tackle the country’s problem. As such, the eligible courses for undergraduate study include; Engineering, Geology, Agriculture, Sciences, Mathematics, Environmental Sciences, Sports, Law, Social Sciences, Biotechnology, Architecture, Medicine (very limited), Pilot Engineering and Neurologist.
Fortunately, this scholarship scheme is opened to Postgraduate students (Masters Degree and PhD) in all fields.
CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible for this scheme as an undergraduate, the candidate must possess a minimum qualification of Seven (7) Distinctions (As & Bs) in the Senior Secondary School Certificates, WASSCE/WAEC (May/June) and must be only in the subjects relevant to their fields of study including English Language and Mathematics. Additionally, Certificates should not be more than two (2) years old (2022 & 2023) for Non-African Countries while the certificate age is only one year (2023) for African countries. The age limit for candidate’s eligibility is from 17 to 20 years.
On the other hand, the eligibility criteria for post graduate scholarship award includes
1. All applicants for Postgraduate degree courses must hold a First Degree with 1st Class or at least 2nd Class Upper Division.
2. All applicants must have completed N.Y.S.C. Programme and the age limit is 35 years for Masters and 40 years for Ph.D.
3. All candidates must have N.Y.S.C discharge or exemption certificates
4. Evidence of readiness to be released by an employer. The employer of the said student must present a letter, showing his willing to release the said staff.
1. Observe that the BEA countries are non-English speaking, hence applicants should be prepared to undertake a mandatory one-year foreign Language course of the Country of choice which will be the standard medium of instruction
2. All applicants for Hungarian Scholarship can apply for up to two fields of study in order of preference, and must visit the website: www.stipendiumhungaricum.hu which has already been opened and is expected to close 16th January, 2024. Therefore, the application form is to be completed online.
3. All applicants for Russia should visit the website http://education-in-russia.com which is opened for registration
4. All applicants for Russian Postgraduate Scholarship must have acquired their 1st Degree in Russia as stated above
5. All documents to be uploaded on the Russian Application portal and must be properly scanned in PDF format.
6. All Applicants to upload a relevant certificates online
7. All applicants are required to visit the Federal Ministry of Education’s website on www.education.gov.ng and click on Federal Scholarship Board ICON on the Home Page:
8. All applicants are expected to carefully read all the Guidelines before completing the Application Form online
9. All applicants are to print the completed Application Form upon completion of the application procedure
10. All undergraduate applicants are to upload their WAEC/WASSCE & NIN Slip, while all postgraduate applicants are to upload their 1st Degree Certificate, NIN Slip and NYSC discharge or exemption Certificate online.
11. Candidates nominated by the Board will be required to submit to Federal Scholarship Board the following; Authenticated copies of academic certificates; Data page of the current International passport, Specified Medical Reports from Government hospitals, Birth Certificate & Indigene letter and Police Clearance Certificate where necessary.
FOR MORE INQUIRIES AND INFORMATION
The following contact details will help candidates get more relevant information so as to proceed with the application without mistakes.
Helpline: (+234)8077884417 OR (+234)8023297547
Email Address: [email protected]
HOW TO APPLY
To start the application process, candidates are to visit the Federal Scholarship Board website. To do that, Click Here
For Hungarian Students, you are to continue your application by clicking on the website: www.stipendiumhungaricum.hu
Russian students are to continue their application through the website http://education-in-russia.com
The Application portal was opened on 25th November, 2023 and will close on 5th January, 2024.